Here is a recipe I used for a salad potluck at work based on a Food Network.ca recipe. Preparation time may take you longer depending on how fast you can prepare the vegetables.
Preparation time: 25 minutes for ingredient preparation, 5 minutes for mixing, Wait 60 minutes for salad to settle.
Serves: 10-12. You can reduce ingredients by one half to feed 5-6.
- 2 cans of chickpeas (19 oz / 540 ml). Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- ½ red pepper and ½ yellow pepper chopped or 1 red/yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped OR 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup cilantro or parsley or coriander, chopped
- lemon juice squeezed from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, you can add more for flavour if you wish
- Mix all ingredients together and toss salad.
- Add additional seasoning if necessary (minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice) and taste.
- Let tossed salad sit for 60 minutes before serving
- Can be kept in fridge for 2 weeks
- Goes well with grilled / BBQ meat, breads, or mixed greens
Other dressing ideas
Thanks to my Aunt Rose for this dressing recipe!
Combine these ingredients into a container and shake well another type of dressing. You can vary amounts based on desired taste.
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Sea Salt or Table salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Mustard (helps mix the other ingredients together well)