Below are examples of metrics and measures that are common when looking at IT infrastructure, middleware, and server performance.
Why People Use These Metrics
These metrics are useful when:
- Considering service level metrics for infrastructure hosting providers and applications.
- What to charge clients based on usage of infrastructure services.
- Quality, stability, and capacity of infrastructure services
- Disk space utilization (we want to check utilization and growth over time). Check space utilization on specific partitions like ones for log files and critical application server files
- Number of middleware related incidents (errors, problems, etc.) and source of incidents (monitoring, clients, users, etc)
- Throughput of requests
- Up time
- Input / Output – bytes received/transmitted per second
- Usage thresholds for various performance measures related to CPU, memory, disk, network, failed transactions
- CPU, memory, disk, network, failed transactions (%) over time